You will be representing Island Camps in a professional manner at all times. You must truly love working with people and be passionate about surfing as well as the ocean environment. Your typical summer schedule will consist of teaching lessons through our Island Surf School on the beaches from Deerfield Beach to Boca Raton. We seek applicants who show us they will go above and beyond, taking the initiative to do what needs to be done without being asked. No surf instruction experience is required for this position as all selected candidates will go through our comprehensive, in-house training, but you must be a proficient surfer. You will be spending multiple hours a day in the sun and in the water, coaching campers and pushing them into waves. You must have incredible ocean stamina for this position! It is not permissible for Island Camp Instructors to surf at any time during lessons; your job is coaching and working with our clients, not to surf on your own. We hire applicants who exude enthusiasm for their jobs.
- At least 14 years of age.
- Must be in excellent physical condition.
- Willing to work long hours while maintaining energy and stamina.
- Reliable and punctual team player.
- Cell phone and reliable transportation.
- Hold a strong mission statement for life, moral conviction, and a desire to change the world for the better through education and action!
- Energetic, morning person with a positive attitude.
- Strong communication, decision making, logistical, and organizational skills.
- Ability to accept and give constructive criticism.
- Well-organized and efficient at follow-through.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally, visually, and in written form.
- Ability to remain focused in a fast paced, stressful, and noisy environment.
- Ability to keep a professional image, provide constructive feedback, and maintain safety protocols.
- High attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
- Outgoing and well-spoken professional demeanor.
- Ability to prioritize and adjust accordingly to tasks when things are not going according as scheduled.